heard on the wire

Day 3 — a song that makes me happy

On the whole, if listening to music doesn’t make you happy, you’re doing it wrong. That would seem to make this song a difficult choice, but in the end it was easy.

Excluding nearly every song that Half Man Half Biscuit — since they have day 25 to themselves — contenders included The Broken Family Band’s Happy Days Are Here Again, almost anything by Billie the Vision and the Dancers, especially Stuttering Duckling and One More Full Length Record and, despite its name, New Order’s wonderful Blue Monday.

My choice, however, is a song that’s featured here before:

Let’s see Vienna and Zürich in the snow
Let’s sail through Venice in a little two man boat
Let’s make like Bloom did and do Dublin in a day
Let’s go to Paris and be gay, babe.

Two Men in a Boat :: Raindrops and Roadmaps

Audio MP3

Tagged:

7 Responses

1. John Lofthouse says:

Hahaha – I love that you’ve planned at least up to day 25 in advance.

Mine is The Staunton Lick by Lemonjelly – pure joy.

• Simon Aughton says:

Not entirely, just pencilled in a few as they occur to me.

• John Lofthouse says:

I’d do the same, but I am resisting looking for the list as it’s interesting to do it on impulse each day. Will track down the Two Men in a Boat track, sounds lovely.

• Simon Aughton says:

You won’t find it anywhere but in my previous post about. It was never commercially released, a real rarity.

• John Lofthouse says:

An interesting song. My head reacted against it – not my usual thing, slightly twee – but my heart kind of went with it and I rather enjoyed it.

2. Chris H says:

Nice. My brother wrote this song.

Can’t believe this is being blogged about over 5 years later.

Can you send us the mp3 please? We don’t actually have a copy any more.

archive

about

heard on the wire is a blog about music old and new, but mostly new. It occasionally uses 21st century file formats that may not be supported by 20th century web browsers. For best results use Safari or Chrome. And If you like the music posted here, please think of the effort and expense that has gone into making it and consider buying a copy of your own.

Hear it on the wire, by receiving email notifications of new posts.

contact

sitemap

copyright

All the music on this site is posted to encourage listeners to enjoy it and then rush out and buy as many songs by the artist as they possibly can. Any artist, record label boss, publisher or other rightsholder who doesn't want their works featured here only needs to get in touch and the offending file(s) will be removed at the earliest opportunity.